Meet Our Wild Gulf Shrimp Shrimp is the most popular seafood in America, and it’s easy to understand why. Our Wild Gulf Shrimp’s fast prep Read More...
On the Menu: Fish with Caper & Butter Sauce
Note: Because our seafood is wild-caught, our availability can be affected by anything from severe weather to normal fish migration patterns. We pride ourselves on bringing you the best seafood all year round, but lately the New England waters are giving our partner fishermen trouble, leaving us short of Atlantic Winter Skate. In its place, we recommend using our new (and similarly delicate and flaky) West Coast Dover Sole in this recipe.
Loved by French chefs and New England fishermen alike, Atlantic Winter Skate wings are sweet like scallops, delicate but firm like lobster, and often compared to flounder and sole. These skin-off fillets are hand trimmed and fan-shaped, so they make for a uniquely beautiful and delicious plate. At Sea to Table, we love ours sautéed with a delicious butter and caper sauce. Watch the magic happen!
Fish with Caper Butter Sauce
1 pack Atlantic Winter Skate or West Coast Dover Sole, thawed in fridge overnight
1 cup all-purpose flour
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup shallots, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
½ stick of butter, separated
⅓ cup capers, drained
Lemon slices and chopped parsley for garnish
Prepare the sauce
- Melt butter in a hot skillet and sauté shallots and garlic until slightly tender.
- Add the capers and keep warm until you’re ready to serve.
Prepare the fish
- Season both sides of the fish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with flour and coat both sides of the fish, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add fish.
- Sauté on one side until golden brown, then flip to do the same for the other side.
- Transfer fish to a warm plate.
- Garnish with lemon slices, pour over sauce, and sprinkle with parsley. Season with fresh pepper. Enjoy while hot.
Do you have a favorite Skate or Dover Sole recipe?
Share your photos and recipe ideas on social media and tag us @Sea2Table!
Hungry for more seafood recipes & cooking inspiration? Learn how to simply prep your fish for the perfect plate.
Recipes & Tips